7.29.2012

rain drops keep falling on my head

For some reason I was thinking of that song when I had my brainstorm with David yesterday. The way to make my saucer and shuttles aesthetically pleasing after docking is going to have a lot to do with the roof. to dock them successfully remember we have to be weather tight, but not so permanent it takes more than a drill, ladder, and a few screws to pull apart. Ideally we want the casual passerby to do a double take when they go by, because a house simply appeared overnight.

We are pretty sure that from the outside it really won't be all that hard. As long as the roof pitches are the same we can line them up and with a simple "cap" of extra roofing cover the gap. Bonus, done correctly it will keep the rain off the docking clamp (I'm just throwing phrases along without too much detail, well, because we have no detail - we are still theorizing!) A simple sketch of the saucer section roof detail:


If this is how the saucer section appears it would be the only one with complicated roof lines, a big plus, because after doing it once, I'll bet we never want to try again. Potentially it has two shuttle attachment bays, one to the right and one to the left, even in my biggest little dream three tiny homes seems to be enough.

Also we will need a few trim pieces for the gaps along the walls and skirts, although I'm thinking potted plants would also be helpful in visually moving the eye around. Here is a sketch of the saucer/shuttle combo when docked:


I'm not sure why I put a bay window on there. I think I was just looking for depth.. It felt a little flat, but you get the idea. Together they will make a nice L shape, giving a perfect place to start a courtyard.

I haven't made a sketches of the interiors yet (if you can tell, my artistic ability is pretty much stretched to the max), but I have been collecting a few ideas including one on getting two teenagers their own private space without taking up too much space. As far as the docking procedure (I really hope there are some other Trekkies out there reading this):
  1. Put the saucer in place.
  2. Remove patio doors from shuttle.
  3. With 3M command strips or similar, attach continuous weather stripping to outside door trim of shuttle.
  4. Back shuttle up to saucer and engage docking clamps, tightening the seal of weatherstrip.
  5. Get out the ladder and place and secure the roof cap.
  6. Place and secure the siding strip and skirts, etc.
  7. Back shuttle into place against saucer.
  8. Go inside and lay in threshold and any trim necessary for interior safety and appearances.
Well those are our ideas, we are thinking of picking up a few little utility trailers and some materials to test out our theories on (tiny playhouse on wheels?). Anyone who has done (or attempted) something like this, we'd love your feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment